Wednesday, February 23

Interview: Mike Schneider, U.S. Drift Coordinator

Brian Eggert and Mike Schneider recently took control of USDrift from former director Chris Cobetto. Brian and Mike had been running events under the name Lookout Drift for two years, and jumped on the chance to expand their operations. Mike was good enough to give me the scoop on what this meant for Lookout Drift, what future plans they had for USDrift, and his thoughts on the future of drifting.

RS: So “Lookout Drift” is the demo team, and you run USDrift.

MS: Yeah . . . Brian and I took over for this season.

RS: What exactly does that mean for you guys?

MS: We go on fun trips and make a little money. We get to run it the way we want to and develop rules, and basically mold it into whatever we want.

RS: What are your plans for USDrift?

MS: We want to keep it as a minor league of sorts, to build the talent for the guys who want to be businessmen, and keep it fun for those of us who love drifting. We'd like to have enough support that it can sustain itself and us and still be as tight as it is now.

RS: Do you guys do this professionally or do you still have other jobs?

MS: We have full time day jobs. (laughs) It’s not that profitable yet. But by the beginning of this season, we will have the largest organization in the US as far as chapters running under common rules, support for the sport from the ground up, and the only national series run completely on race tracks.

RS: I’m just curious, what do you do?

MS: I work at Circuit City, selling TVs.

RS: What do you hate the most and love the most about running events?

MS: I love and hate everything about running events. I love watching people get better and, you know, helping make that happen. I love to make people mad with a tough course and then have them say "Man, that was fun," after figuring it out. I don't like not being able to drive all the time but in order to do things right and further the sport it’s a necessity.

RS: How do you feel about sponsored drivers like Tony Schulz and JR?

MS: They’re great guys. Besides Ueo (Katsuhiro), I think they would qualify as my favorite drivers. I'm really glad that two people that I know very well, and had the privilege to know before they were stars, are finally getting recognition. They are true East coast guys that stayed over here and got noticed by being sweet drivers, not just because they happened to be in California. Not to take anything away from the drivers out there, but they've had it a little easier. Drifting in America got its start out there and all the companies throwing money around are out there. It’s good to see the sponsors looking in other places; there is a lot of talent over here in the East.

RS: When did you get started and how?

MS: I got into autocross back in . . . I guess 1998-99 and used an AE92 (FWD Corolla). In search of tips and stuff for the motor and suspension I stumbled onto the Toyota-Mods list server. Lots of the guys on there were from other countries where drifting and AE86s were more common and I got interested in learning about it. I picked up an AW11 MR2 from Jerry (McGovern) and started taking that out to the autocrosses and learning how to make it go and then how to make it slide while I searched for a good AE86. When I got one, I started taking it out to the autocrosses (are you noticing a pattern here?) and taking it out to the industrial parks at night to slide. I drove it to the 1st Hyperfest in 2002 all stock. I guess the rest is history. I dragged a few of the other guys into the obsession along the way, but it’s been fun so far.

RS: That sounds like fun. Can you tell me more about the schedule for next year?

MS: Yes, but we are waiting to have it all together before putting it up.

RS: OK, I understand that.

MS: We have a conference call with a track owner this Friday so after that we will probably have some more good stuff to say after that.

RS: Any thoughts on the future of USDrift?

MS: Not really. We are strongly interested in keeping it grassroots, because that’s what we like to be around and there is a lot less stress. Besides, I don’t ever want to be locked in an office and lose touch with the sport.

RS: Where do you see you and Brian fitting into it? What are your roles now and how do you see them changing?

MS: Well, Brian does most of the business stuff like keeping track of the books. We both split the calling tracks part and setting up the specific aspects of each event like registration, course setup, and managing workers. I’m doing most of the rule write-ups with input from him on some things. He runs the site as well (www.lookoutdrift.com), and does the fliers.

RS: He comes up with some pretty creative stuff!

MS: (laughs) Yeah, great fliers can really spice up an event, especially considering our target market.

RS: I agree. Did he make the “North vs. South” event flier?

MS: No that was DGTrials (DGT); they do very good fliers also. I don’t know who does theirs.

RS: Will you tell me your thoughts on other East Coast clubs like DGT?

MS: DGT is a great organization with a lot of the same types of principles as us. The main difference, I think, is we have a little less spunk. That’s OK though, because we are different people. I think we were influenced a lot by Chris Cobetto in how traditional motor sport events are run. We try to imitate a formal motor sport environment as much as we can with drifters.

RS: And that differs from DGT how?

MS: Well, they have a more seat of the pants style. I guess we're a little stricter in what can happen and how wild things get. We’re almost prudes, if you will, at least while at the event . . .

RS: Do you think the people go to your events or their events because of those differences?

MS: Some might, but for the most part, people just want to drift and they don’t necessarily want to drive 1000 miles to do it. I think drifting is more regional than anything else. I’d like to see people go to every event, but unfortunately, most of us drifters aren’t rich so we pick and choose based on cost, location and venue.

RS: Amen to that.

MS: I suspect track design plays a role too.

RS: How so?

MS: Some people don’t like (our) tight, technical courses. So, a few may avoid ours because of that. But as soon as the guys that can do it all school up on the people who never bothered to learn how to read a course, or do things while going slow and fast, they will realize that it prepares you for any type of situation you may encounter on the track with another car.

RS: I'm guessing DGT events are more open?

MS: I’ve only been to one event, and that was “North vs. South,” and it was pretty open. I've seen people from around their way comment on how they don’t like our tight sections. So, I can only assume they aren’t used to it. They do their thing, we do ours. There isn’t a "battle" at all between the two groups. I’d like to go to one of their Drift Out Friday events this year.

RS: Do you feel sometimes like you'd rather be driving than working?

MS: Yeah, all the time. But I do get to drive a bit, I’ll never lose that. But I guess I prefer to have everything go perfect than be an attendee, get pissed and go on the forums and cry about what should’ve been done better. So, we took action and went to business running events.

RS: I understand that feeling.

MS: So what do think, how are we doing?

RS: I think that you guys have a very good compromise between track time, price, and venue availability. You do a great job.

MS: Well good, it was worth it then. (laughs)

RS: Yeah definitely! I love your Thursday events.

MS: Those won’t be happening this year. The track is not allowing drifting on their new parking lot lines.

RS: A lot of people think that drifting will get too big and events will be really crowded. Your thoughts?

MS: All we as organizers have to do is limit registration to keep events small. If it gets that popular we can always hold more events.

RS: If you needed to do more events, where and when would you hold them?

MS: Well, if it can be paid for, we'd just rent the track, but the events have to support themselves.

RS: So you would hold the events only if you thought enough people would come.

MS: Yeah, of course, if they will come, we'll make it happen, that’s how we decided on the winter events. There was demand.

RS: Can you tell me some more about your relationship with Chris Cobetto, and how you took over USDrift?

MS: Well, I first contacted Chris in 2001 when I heard there was a rumor going around about a drift competition at Hyperfest at Summit Point the next year. A bunch of us came up from North Carolina for the competition and I think there may have been like 10 people entered that year. Nathan Brasz (satin black S13) won it all. What really got us noticed and got me in good contact with Chris was when I slammed the wall at Loews [Motor Speedway]. I started asking about some practice events and kept bugging them until USDrift put one on at Cloverleaf Mall in November, 2002. I got involved in some of the publicity stuff with then-director Mike Deford and kept bugging them about more practice events. We staffed a few of the USDrift events and then it took off from there.

RS: I think I read the story about that crash. You slammed the wall, then kept on drifting.

MS: Yeah, it was fun.

RS: How bad was the crash?

MS: Not too bad, I drove the car home. Axle and brakes and some cosmetic stuff.

RS: So that was you I read about so long ago!

MS: Yeah, that crash put us on the map. So it wasn’t all bad.

RS: Should people be scared of crashing on the drift course?

MS: Don’t be afraid, but be aware of the possibility. Be ready for it if it happens. Come out to an event and have fun with us.

RS: I will and I hope others will too. Thanks for talking to me Mike, I hope things go well for you guys.

MS: Thanks. Talk to you later.

Mike promised to give more information up soon, especially considering the upcoming events for the year. Stay tuned for more updates on the East Coast drift scene, events courtesy of USDrift.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?